WEDU PBS is thrilled to announce that Community Cinema is returning to your neighborhood! We feel that film is a catalyst for impactful discussion regarding issues that not only affect our community, but the world as a whole.
To help bring some truly inspiring films, we have partnered with Independent Lens for their next season of Indie Lens Pop-Up! For this, we are provided with early copies of Independent Lens films coming to PBS during the next year. This year, their theme centers on the question, “What’s your vision for your neighborhood?” Each film discusses themes like diversity, climate change, and mental illness in unique and honest ways.
Each event will feature a film screening, followed by a discussion afterwards, with a panel or a speaker.
– John Lewis: Get in the Way – September 16
– Unladylike2020: The Changemakers – August 31
– Prideland – August 12
– Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise – July 29
– American Experience: The Vote – July 6 | Panelists: Fentrice Driskell (Florida House Representative); Barbara Zdravecky (Interim CEO of Ruth’s List)
– Independent Lens: Always In Season – February 11 | Panelists: Bay Area Dream Defenders
– Independent Lens: The First Rainbow Coalition | Panelists: Nelson Merced (Former Massachusetts House Rep, Activist); Josa Alvarez (QLatinx)