Current Employment Opportunities
WEDU is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and fully supports workplace diversity – all applicants are welcome. Drug Test and Background check required.
Safety & Security: Employees are required to maintain compliance with WEDU’s safety, security, drug free and confidentiality programs to secure a safe working environment and protect the company’s intellectual property.
Education Assistant (PT)
Department: Education Department
Reports To: Director of Educational Services
Job Type: Part-Time (20 hours per week)
The Education Assistant will be a key member of the Education team. This staffer will play a vital role in supporting WEDU PBS educational outreach and special event activities through coordination of records, correspondence and assigned administrative duties. The Education Assistant will provide administrative support and other duties as assigned to effectively and efficiently assist in reaching targeted goals for the department and organization as a whole. This position also provides support to the Communications Department through clerical duties and event assistance as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and prepare materials for mailings, special appeals and events throughout the year via mail merge, e-mail, print or other methods.
- Post station events to local online media calendars.
- Manage guest related events calls, emails, questions and requests for station events including but not limited to: teacher workshops, community education events, and more.
- Provide support for station education outreach by coordinating and managing events and event volunteers.
- Assist with monthly education e-newsletter production.
- Provide office management support for the Education department, including filing, ordering supplies, renewing subscriptions, maintaining central files, preparing purchase orders, mail distribution and other administrative duties associated with efficient workflow.
- Provide ongoing administrative support to the Director of Educational Services including but not limited to coordinating meetings, travel, schedules, accounting, correspondence/mailings, timesheets, etc.
- Provide ongoing administrative support to the Education Department by conducting Internet research and inquiries related to educational outreach activities. This may include providing assistance in coordinating event speakers, assisting guests and related event needs.
- Provide direction to Education volunteers as needed.
- Communicate and coordinate with departments throughout the organization on pending projects as needed.
- Provide support to assigned station education events, including but not limited to reservations, on site check- in, set-up, clean-up, data entry and staffing at events; work with special events for a timely follow-up of attendees and immediate cultivation of potential members or donors.
- Assist with grant applications and events collateral needs by maintaining timelines, research and providing copies and assembly and delivery of grant materials.
- Maintain an inventory of available education event and promotional items. Serve as scheduler for marketing materials and props such as photo backdrops, banners, etc.
- Seek at all times to promote the case for support of WEDU PBS throughout the region.
- Maintain excellent internal and external communications, both verbally, and in writing.
- Perform any other duties as assigned, including but not limited to, provide coverage for front desk receptionist or other organization support personnel during breaks or outages, assist with meeting and/or event set-up and clean-up.
- Experience in an office setting in an administrative assistant role.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office program including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Event coordination and management experience, a plus.
- Basic knowledge of desktop publishing, a plus.
- Strict external and internal customer service standards.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Flexibility and initiative.
- Occasional nights and weekends.
- Requires lifting up to 50 lbs. and bending.
WEDU is a Drug Free Workplace and is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and fully supports workplace diversity – all qualified applicants are welcome.
Application Process: Potential candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary history to: [email protected], or fax to 813-253-0826.
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Volunteering or interning at WEDU can be a rewarding and challenging experience. As a nonprofit organization, WEDU must rely on volunteer and intern support to fulfill our mission. As a business enterprise, our organization requires volunteers and interns who are willing to make a commitment of time and energy – similar to a paid position. Although we are on the air around the clock, our administrative operations are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The volunteer or intern needs of the organization range from clerical help to public speaking. Our volunteers and interns must be dependable, reliable and willing to perform their duties on a fixed schedule. The amount of time committed would be determined by the individual. Once established, the expectation would be that the person could be reliable and able to perform assignments on a regular basis.
Volunteer or internship assignments can vary throughout the year as well as within departments. Examples include acting as an usher for a community forum, helping with a specific event, committing 20 hours a week to writing copy for the Communications Department, or doing research for a project.
Due to the nature of our enterprise and our continuously evolving industry, we have to be highly selective in designating volunteer or internship assignments. For that reason we urge you to fill out the coordinating form for the specific area you are interested in.
We want your experience to be as rich and fulfilling for you as it is productive for WEDU. By volunteering, you can show your support while learning more about WEDU, your community-owned PBS station and public media source serving West Central Florida. By interning, you can learn firsthand the functions of positions in your area of interest, and gain valuable knowledge of the workplace.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications, we cannot respond to every request. Should the skills and qualifications match an opportunity, a staff member will contact the applicant.
Internship vs. Volunteering: WEDU offers internship opportunities to students enrolled in an accredited college or university or recent graduates. We prefer that students seek class credits for the internship, although it is not required. Internship opportunities may be from six weeks to multiple semesters, preferably two to three days per week. Internships and volunteer positions are unpaid.
Academic Credit and Deadlines
It is preferred that applicants seek course credit for the internship, although it is not required. Internship opportunities span the academic semester, preferably 8-16 hours per week.
WEDU is currently accepting internship applications for Summer 2019, Fall 2019 and Spring 2020.
- Fall semester due second Friday of June.
- Spring semester due second Friday of November.
- Summer semester due second Friday of March.