Current Employment Opportunities
WEDU Marketing Assistant – Part Time
Objective: Provide support for the Marketing Department (VP and two Sales Executives) as they generate revenue to help sustain the quality programs broadcast on WEDU by creating, writing and maintaining sales/research materials, databases, contracts and broadcast calendars. The position requires strong organization skills, as well as writing, and administrative proficiency as outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain records and files of departmental sales orders; route all broadcast and print contracts
- Maintain a tracking log of all broadcast and print contracts; run flight schedule reports weekly of all on air clients, and work with client and traffic department to schedule make goods, if necessary
- Prepare and audit broadcast affidavits monthly to send to clients
- Prepare Proof of Performance reports for clients as needed; includes analysis of events, productions, broadcast, print, or online media, or any combination of the above
- Represent the station at community outreach events
- Assist VP and two sales executives with various administrative functions: copying, mail, filing, etc.
- Maintain client records in central database (Team Approach)
- Coordinate special mailing projects
- Assist in coordination and execution of marketing department outreach events
- Incorporate diversity in all materials in accordance with company policy and procedures
- Oversee department interns and/or volunteers
- Order departmental office supplies
- Maintain excellent internal and external communications, both verbally and in writing
- Maintain compliance with WEDU’s safety, security, drug free and confidentiality programs to secure a safe working environment and protect the company’s intellectual property.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Cross-train within department to be able to fulfill duties as needed.
- At least two years of recent administrative experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Design programs including In Design, Photoshop and Illustrator a plus
WEDU is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and fully supports workplace diversity – all qualified applicants are welcome. Drug Test and Background check required.
Qualified-only candidates should send over letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or WEDU, HR, at fax 813-253-0826 (not both).
WEDU Development Division: Major Gifts Officer
Objective: This position serves as a key fundraiser for WEDU through the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual donors and prospects making annual or special major gifts of $1000 or more. As a part of the WEDU Development team, the Major Gifts Officer serves as the station liaison for the Broadcasters Circle.
- Secures gifts of $1000 or more by meeting with, cultivating and soliciting individuals who have the capacity to contribute at the Major Gift/Broadcasters level annually.
- Maintains a personal portfolio of current donors and prospects, including individuals and foundations; communicates with portfolio prospects through face-to-face solicitation and stewardship meetings, as well as in writing, ensuring that a clear strategy is in place for each prospect.
- Assists in facilitating the completion of the current Arts Alive Campaign.
- Reviews and upgrades current Broadcasters Circle members and re-enlists lapsed Broadcasters Circle members.
- Maintains regular contact with WEDU’s donors through donor correspondence, phone contact and personal visits. Maintains donor records and their confidentiality.
- Provides direction to the Administrative Assistant, ensuring all deadlines are met according to the development plan and timeline set forth.
- Creates system for monitoring major giving trends and patterns.
- Coordinates planning and budgeting for revenue generation.
- Prepares weekly tracking and progress reports to senior management including contacts, pledges and gifts.
- Prepares monthly tracking reports on revenue and budget
- Provides meeting support materials to senior management and Board members, including talking points, solicitation materials, background information and follow-up proposals as needed.
- Works with Development staff on screening and preparing profiles of current and prospective donors, establishes and refines benchmarks for department research process,
- Solicits additional gifts and cultivates new donors through direct mail solicitations and station events.
- Works as part of the Development Team to identify other development opportunities, such as planned gifts.
- Researches and writes grants as appropriate.
- Develops and oversees Development/Major Donor events, including annual donor luncheons and stewardship events. Is a visible presence at all events. This may include occasional evening or weekend work.
- Performs any other duties of an incidental nature as assigned.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and four years’ fundraising experience, specifically major gifts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook
- Excellent personal and written communication
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends
Potential candidates should send cover letter, salary history and requirements, and resume to email@example.com.
Seeking Educational Workshop Providers
WEDU PBS has an immediate opening for individuals to prepare and present workshops demonstrating our educational resources for teachers and parents. Bachelor degree and additional training in Pre-K and elementary education, childhood development, media literacy and curriculum development preferred.
Minimum 3 years’ experience in either teaching or a related educational field. Experience with training/teaching adults preferred. Intermediate level use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher). Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work independently. Knowledge of PBS Kids programs helpful. Will consider applications for part time and contract work. Must have own vehicle and be willing to travel throughout WEDU’s 16 county broadcast region in West Central Florida.
Potential candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PBS member station WEDU, seeks experienced Producers for field and studio productions for short form, long form, documentary and series video content for WEDU.
Ideal candidates are organized self-starters who will be responsible for producing WEDU projects, including locally, regionally and/or nationally presented content.
Duties would involve generating content ideas, producing project elements from concept through post-production including writing and coordinating all elements necessary to successfully complete contracted projects on time and within budget.
Potential assignments might include: local programming projects – studio or field based programming, documentaries, special content projects, program segments and/or promotional messages for broadcast or alternate distribution.
Candidates should have a proven history of being a Producer for successful program production. A working knowledge of public television would be a plus. Producers should be capable of handling multiple project demands simultaneously, be able to work independently, and must manage their work hours to complete all projects by deadline. Technical abilities in shooting video and editing would be preferred.
Projects could be of varying duration and scope, and may allow for full-time or part-time employment, or independent contracting based on those parameters. WEDU is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and fully supports workplace diversity – all applicants are welcome.
Potential candidates should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
WEDU is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and fully supports workplace diversity – all applicants are welcome.
Donor Development Strategies: Door-to-Door Fundraisers for WEDU
We are Donor Development Strategies, a national field-organizing firm that specializes in building support for PBS Stations through individual face-to-face conversations and community outreach. Our mission is to bring a professional approach to door-to-door fundraising and grassroots membership engagement. Our work is a crucial component of membership development at WEDU and vital to the strength of the organization. Those seeking employment and interested in impacting the future of public television in the Tampa and St. Petersburg areas are encouraged to apply.
Reports To: Mark Clark, Canvass Director
Job Description: Donor Development Strategies, LLC seeks personable, hands-on individuals looking to make an impact on membership development for their local PBS station, WEDU. The appropriate candidate will assist in driving awareness of programming and the station’s mission while raising funds for WEDU.
This position is a perfect fit for full-time or part-time candidates who want to get their feet wet in fundraising, help build the community, and be part of an actively growing organization that is making a tremendous impact on the fundraising model for PBS. A successful applicant will learn the basics of membership building and fundraising in a rewarding, casual, fun environment. Those looking to rise into a leadership position are encouraged to make us aware of this in their cover letter.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have energy, be a confident and friendly communicator, and will be eager to interact directly with WEDU audiences via a grassroots approach. The position requires creativity, a rock-solid work ethic, a self-starter attitude and a good sense of humor. Those with solid customer service or sales experience, a passion for conversation, or simply want to support WEDU programming are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates can expect to make between $10-20/hr. Competitive benefits package provided!
Donor Development Strategies is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion.
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Volunteering or interning at WEDU can be a rewarding and challenging experience. As a nonprofit organization, WEDU must rely on volunteer and intern support to fulfill our mission. As a business enterprise, our organization requires volunteers and interns who are willing to make a commitment of time and energy – similar to a paid position. Although we are on the air around the clock, our administrative operations are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The volunteer or intern needs of the organization range from clerical help to public speaking. Our volunteers and interns must be dependable, reliable and willing to perform their duties on a fixed schedule. The amount of time committed would be determined by the individual. Once established, the expectation would be that the person could be reliable and able to perform assignments on a regular basis.
Volunteer or internship assignments can vary throughout the year as well as within departments. Examples include acting as an usher for a community forum, helping with a specific event, committing 20 hours a week to writing copy for the Communications Department, or doing research for a project.
Due to the nature of our enterprise and our continuously evolving industry, we have to be highly selective in designating volunteer or internship assignments. For that reason we urge you to fill out the coordinating form for the specific area you are interested in.
We want your experience to be as rich and fulfilling for you as it is productive for WEDU. By volunteering, you can show your support while learning more about WEDU, your community-owned PBS station and public media source serving West Central Florida. By interning, you can learn firsthand the functions of positions in your area of interest, and gain valuable knowledge of the workplace.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications, we cannot respond to every request. Should the skills and qualifications match an opportunity, a staff member will contact the applicant.
Internship vs. Volunteering: WEDU offers internship opportunities to students enrolled in an accredited college or university or recent graduates. We prefer that students seek class credits for the internship, although it is not required. Internship opportunities may be from six weeks to multiple semesters, preferably two to three days per week. Internships and volunteer positions are unpaid.