Current Employment Opportunities
WEDU is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and fully supports workplace diversity – all applicants are welcome. Drug Test and Background check required.
Safety & Security: Employees are required to maintain compliance with WEDU’s safety, security, drug free and confidentiality programs to secure a safe working environment and protect the company’s intellectual property.
Interactive and Web Specialist
Reports to: Vice President of Communications
Job Objective: Develop and maintain the WEDU PBS and companion websites, social media applications, mobile services and other interactive programs and services utilizing industry best practices. Serve as point of contact on interactive projects, collaborate with all departments and provide support for station initiatives and activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain all interactive projects including email marketing, online banner advertising, micro sites, website development, search engine marketing, etc utilizing industry best practices.
- Research, wireframe, design and build interactive designs. Advise staff on best practices as they relate to station interactive services and data management. Streamline systems for wider, user-friendly interaction and participation.
- Assist in the coordination of interactive resources as needed; including but not limited to timely website updates and maintenance with uploads of video, media releases, community outreach activities and reservations, social media posting, electronic invitations and promotional notices.
- Coordinate vendor relationships (internal and external) pertaining to facilitation of web art and visual materials for station promotions, advertisements, programs, events, packaging, and informative/instructional material.
- Work within other teams and departments to ensure approaches and solutions are linked to objectives and future needs.
- Interface regularly with the station’s Vice President of Communications to ensure a consistent and seamless look from broadcast to print thereby supporting a consistent station brand and message.
- Interface regularly with Communications Team members to ensure a consistent and seamless look from the website to print thereby supporting a consistent station brand and message.
- Support fundraising initiatives and objectives by developing, managing and maintaining valid data throughout, approved connections, content and reporting of the station’s donor database using the Team Approach system. Conduct appropriate training as requested.
- Lead research into new technologies, best practices, applications and strategies for development designed to improve user experiences, promote cost effective practices, and maximize profitable growth.
- Research and utilize services from PBS as appropriate.
- Develop, test and deliver reports, ad-hoc queries and data files to staff and vendors according to production schedule and as requested.
- Monitor and maintain database and interactive security. Provide mentoring for cross-training backup.
- Provide support for station hosted events and activities. This may include occasional nights and/or weekends at WEDU PBS properties or other community venues within WEDU’s 16 county coverage area.
- Perform other duties as assigned including, but not limited to, assisting with
station event related activities, coordinating and fostering learning experiences with departmental and station interns and volunteers.
- Manage time and stay on schedule to meet deadlines.
- Maintain excellent internal and external communications, both verbally and in writing.
- Maintain compliance with WEDU’s safety, security, drug free and confidentiality programs to secure a safe working environment and protect the company’s intellectual property
Skills and Qualifications:
- Design skills: Experience designing digital graphics specific to a brand. Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite including DreamWeaver, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Email marketing skills: Experience creating successful email campaigns using a marketing automation platform. Familiarity with MailChimp a plus.
- Social media skills: Experience managing social media accounts. Expertise managing Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for marketing and public relations purposes preferred.
- Form building: Experience building online forms. Familiarity with Wufoo and Gravity Forms a plus. Familiarity with using Adobe LiveCycle to create interactive PDFs a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Customer service skills are required to interact with viewers, donors, Board of Directors, contractors, clients, and staff members in a professional and appropriate manner.
- Time management skills, initiative and flexibility when faced with multiple, time-sensitive and varying assignments.
- Ability to work productively both within a team dynamic and independently.
Plant & Security Manager
Reports to: VP of Engineering
Job Type: Full Time – hourly
Salary Range: $40,000 – $45,000
Objective: Oversee the safety and well-being of WEDU PBS employees, clients and visitors. Effectively and safely maintain the physical plant of WEDU PBS including HVAC, electrical, fire, inspections, sewer, housekeeping and security. Serve as liaison with all vendors. Oversee maintenance of grounds and parking areas. Ensure landscaping is maintained satisfactorily.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor the operations and activities in and around WEDU’s facility according to patrol schedule. Conduct periodic checks depending upon conditions in the building, i.e. special event, taping, studio rentals, etc. Monitor the parking lot and walk staff to vehicles with an emphasis on start and closing of facility.
- Effectively and safely maintain the physical plant of WEDU PBS including HVAC, electrical, fire, inspections, sewer, housekeeping and security.
- Effective coordination of building maintenance, grounds keeping and custodial duties.
- Keep the building secured during the day and secure building when leaving. Set alarm if not relieved by another WEDU PBS staff or Security Officer.
- Assist with the checking in and out of visitors and staff using appropriate logs. Escort individuals as necessary. Direct the flow of traffic during peak periods.
- Effective internal and external communications, both verbally and in writing.
- Adherence to the safety and security policies of the station.
Maintain compliance with WEDU’s safety, security, drug free and confidentiality programs to ensure a safe working environment and protect the company’s intellectual property.
- Ensures the grounds and building are maintained satisfactorily.
Recommends equipment and supply purchases for maintaining physical plant.
- Arranges, schedules, oversees and/or performs repairs and maintenance as needed.
- Is available for weekend and after-hours work to handle extra duties assigned or emergencies.
- Prepares written reports as needed.
- Provides maintenance support to all station projects.
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
- 2 years minimum experience of plant maintenance and security.
- High school diploma.
- The ability to see and respond to dangerous situations
- The ability to walk/stand for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- The ability to safely climb ladders.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Application Process: Potential candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary history to: [email protected], or fax to 813-253-0826.
PBS member station WEDU, seeks experienced Producers for field and studio productions for short form, long form, documentary and series video content for WEDU.
Ideal candidates are organized self-starters who will be responsible for producing WEDU projects, including locally, regionally and/or nationally presented content.
Duties would involve generating content ideas, producing project elements from concept through post-production including writing and coordinating all elements necessary to successfully complete contracted projects on time and within budget.
Potential assignments might include: local programming projects – studio or field based programming, documentaries, special content projects, program segments and/or promotional messages for broadcast or alternate distribution.
Candidates should have a proven history of being a Producer for successful program production. A working knowledge of public television would be a plus. Producers should be capable of handling multiple project demands simultaneously, be able to work independently, and must manage their work hours to complete all projects by deadline. Technical abilities in shooting video and editing would be preferred.
Projects could be of varying duration and scope, and may allow for full-time or part-time employment, or independent contracting based on those parameters.
Application Process: Potential candidates should send cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Volunteering or interning at WEDU can be a rewarding and challenging experience. As a nonprofit organization, WEDU must rely on volunteer and intern support to fulfill our mission. As a business enterprise, our organization requires volunteers and interns who are willing to make a commitment of time and energy – similar to a paid position. Although we are on the air around the clock, our administrative operations are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The volunteer or intern needs of the organization range from clerical help to public speaking. Our volunteers and interns must be dependable, reliable and willing to perform their duties on a fixed schedule. The amount of time committed would be determined by the individual. Once established, the expectation would be that the person could be reliable and able to perform assignments on a regular basis.
Volunteer or internship assignments can vary throughout the year as well as within departments. Examples include acting as an usher for a community forum, helping with a specific event, committing 20 hours a week to writing copy for the Communications Department, or doing research for a project.
Due to the nature of our enterprise and our continuously evolving industry, we have to be highly selective in designating volunteer or internship assignments. For that reason we urge you to fill out the coordinating form for the specific area you are interested in.
We want your experience to be as rich and fulfilling for you as it is productive for WEDU. By volunteering, you can show your support while learning more about WEDU, your community-owned PBS station and public media source serving West Central Florida. By interning, you can learn firsthand the functions of positions in your area of interest, and gain valuable knowledge of the workplace.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications, we cannot respond to every request. Should the skills and qualifications match an opportunity, a staff member will contact the applicant.
Internship vs. Volunteering: WEDU offers internship opportunities to students enrolled in an accredited college or university or recent graduates. We prefer that students seek class credits for the internship, although it is not required. Internship opportunities may be from six weeks to multiple semesters, preferably two to three days per week. Internships and volunteer positions are unpaid.