Current Employment Opportunities
WEDU is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and fully supports workplace diversity – all applicants are welcome. Drug Test and Background check required.
Safety & Security: Employees are required to maintain compliance with WEDU’s safety, security, drug free and confidentiality programs to secure a safe working environment and protect the company’s intellectual property.
WEDU Development Department
Are you a campaign organizer in search of a great new opportunity following this year’s election?
WEDU is seeking applicants with campaign/field organizing experience to lead our team of door-to-door canvassers; helping to build membership in the community and increase revenue for the station. The Canvass Director position is a unique opportunity; perfect for committed grassroots organizers with leadership experience looking to work in-house, directly within the Development Department of one of the most trusted and respected non-profit institutions in the Tampa Bay area.
WEDU is West Central Florida’s primary PBS station and public media company, reaching 16 counties through media platforms including on-air programming and online experiences that broaden horizons, transport and transform and open gateways to new ideas. Financially supported by the same community it serves, WEDU is a treasured local resource; a window to the world for the homebound and a vital educational source for the youngest members of society.
Job Overview: Reporting directly to the Sr. Vice President of Development, the Canvass Director’s main objective is to implement a strategic field plan with specific fundraising goals to increase revenue and build membership for WEDU (especially sustainer revenue), through engaging citizens at their door with a team of canvassers.
- Field Work: Canvass minimum 2 times per week. Perform regular quality control field check-ins with staff members. Regularly provide in-field training for new staff and existing staff.
- Recruitment: Recruit, hire, train, and manage canvassers who will contact targeted citizens.
- Training: Provide ongoing training to canvass team, updating staff on WEDU programming, events and best practices.
- Office Culture: Develop a positive and goal-oriented culture in the office. Set expectations and manage performance of staff. Work to develop a strong leadership team.
- Administration: Establish turf selection for the team.Track income and expenses. Collect and analyze data; prepare and present regular reports related to performance and operations. Ensure secure management of all assets and confidential information. Meet income and expense goals for department as budgeted. Meet with Senior Staff on a regular basis to provide updates on performance, operations, and any issues.
- Staff Management: Build a team where everyone’s at their best; identify and develop leaders from within existing staff.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- A record of success with door-to-door and/or street fundraising
- Minimum 1 year management experience
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate a team of diverse individuals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable with some irregular hours, evening hours, and occasional weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation and clean driving record.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office program including Word, Excel, Powerpoint
Environment and Physical Demands: Ability to walk outside for up to 6 hours per shift, approximately 4-5 miles per day. Ability to work in inclement weather conditions year round. Ability to carry all canvasing equipment and materials while walking on turf. 70% office and 30% outdoors.
Application Process: Potential candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary history to: [email protected], or fax to 813-253-0826.
Communications Associate (PT)
Department: WEDU PBS Communications Department
Reports to: WEDU Vice President of Communications
Job Type: Part-Time (20 hours per week) includes some paid vacation and sick leave benefits.
Objective: The Communications Associate will be a key member of the WEDU PBS Communications team. This staffer will play a vital role in supporting WEDU PBS public relations, marketing, community outreach and special event activities through coordination of communications records, correspondence, event logistics, media inquiries, and assigned administrative and clerical duties. The Communications Associate will provide administrative support and other duties as assigned to effectively and efficiently assist in reaching targeted goals for the department and organization as a whole.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and prepare data for press distribution, mailings, special appeals and events throughout the year via mail merge, e-mail or other methods
- Post press information and station events to local online media calendars
- Manage guest related events calls, emails, questions and requests for station events including but not limited to: WEDU Be More Awards, community screening events, community events, donor and production related events, and more
- Assist in coordinating event volunteers for station events and assist in executing an annual volunteer program in partnership with the Human Resources Department
- Assist with monthly staff e-newsletter updates for overall departmental news
- Provide office management support for the Communications department, including filing, ordering supplies, renewing subscriptions, maintaining central files, preparing purchase orders, mail distribution and other administrative duties associated with efficient workflow
- Provide ongoing administrative support to the Vice President of Communications including but not limited to coordinating meetings, travel, schedules, accounting, correspondence/mailings, timesheets, etc.
- Provide ongoing administrative support to the Communications Department by conducting Internet research and inquiries related to community outreach activities and media relations. This may include providing assistance in coordinating event speakers, assisting guests and related event needs
- Provide assistance/support for Creative Services Specialist and Interactive Services Specialist as needed with completion and serve as backup for web and print production projects
- Provide direction to Communications team interns as needed
- Communicate and coordinate with departments throughout the organization on pending projects as needed
- Provide support to assigned station events, including but not limited to reservations, on site check- in, set-up, clean-up, data entry and staffing at events; work with special events for a timely follow-up of attendees and immediate cultivation of potential members or donors
- Assist with grant applications and events collateral needs by maintaining timelines, research and providing copies and assembly and delivery of grant materials.
- Maintain an inventory of available Marketing materials and promotional items. Serve as scheduler for marketing props such as photo backdrops, banners, etc.
- Seek at all times to promote the case for support of WEDU PBS throughout the region
- Maintain excellent internal and external communications, both verbally, and in writing.
- Perform any other duties as assigned, including but not limited to, provide coverage for front desk receptionist or other organization support personnel during breaks or outages, assist with meeting and/or event set-up and clean-up
- One (1) year of experience in a Communications, Public Relations and/or Event Marketing role
- Background or educational experience in communications, public relations and/or event planning
- Experience in an office setting in an administrative role
- Minimum 2 years of college or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office program including Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Basic knowledge of desktop publishing, web design, and e-blast programs
- Knowledge or experience with social media marketing and Internet research
- Strict external and internal customer service standards
- Flexibility and initiative
- Occasional nights and weekends
Application Process: Potential candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary history to: [email protected], or fax to 813-253-0826 (not both).
Canvassers: Full-Time and Part-Time positions available
Perform door to door fundraising activities such as one-time or monthly giving programs and occasional specific special events. Canvassers will track and record all donations, door knocks, donor prospects, etc., as part of a team, raising funds for WEDU.
Door-to-Door Canvassing, 8 hour shifts, 12-8 pm, Flexible Days – can work anywhere from 2-5 days per week, Monday through Friday, and occasional weekends.
Environment and Physical Demands: Ability to walk outside for up to 6 hours per shift, approximately 4-5 miles per day. Ability to work in inclement weather conditions year round. Ability to carry all canvasing equipment and materials while walking on turf. 20% office and 80% outdoors.
- Experience with canvassing or door-to-door experience (e.g., collecting petition signatures)
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Willingness to take initiative
- Must have reliable transportation and clean driving record
- Bi-lingual ability is a plus
Application process: Potential candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
PBS member station WEDU, seeks experienced Producers for field and studio productions for short form, long form, documentary and series video content for WEDU.
Ideal candidates are organized self-starters who will be responsible for producing WEDU projects, including locally, regionally and/or nationally presented content.
Duties would involve generating content ideas, producing project elements from concept through post-production including writing and coordinating all elements necessary to successfully complete contracted projects on time and within budget.
Potential assignments might include: local programming projects – studio or field based programming, documentaries, special content projects, program segments and/or promotional messages for broadcast or alternate distribution.
Candidates should have a proven history of being a Producer for successful program production. A working knowledge of public television would be a plus. Producers should be capable of handling multiple project demands simultaneously, be able to work independently, and must manage their work hours to complete all projects by deadline. Technical abilities in shooting video and editing would be preferred.
Projects could be of varying duration and scope, and may allow for full-time or part-time employment, or independent contracting based on those parameters.
Application Process: Potential candidates should send cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Volunteering or interning at WEDU can be a rewarding and challenging experience. As a nonprofit organization, WEDU must rely on volunteer and intern support to fulfill our mission. As a business enterprise, our organization requires volunteers and interns who are willing to make a commitment of time and energy – similar to a paid position. Although we are on the air around the clock, our administrative operations are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The volunteer or intern needs of the organization range from clerical help to public speaking. Our volunteers and interns must be dependable, reliable and willing to perform their duties on a fixed schedule. The amount of time committed would be determined by the individual. Once established, the expectation would be that the person could be reliable and able to perform assignments on a regular basis.
Volunteer or internship assignments can vary throughout the year as well as within departments. Examples include acting as an usher for a community forum, helping with a specific event, committing 20 hours a week to writing copy for the Communications Department, or doing research for a project.
Due to the nature of our enterprise and our continuously evolving industry, we have to be highly selective in designating volunteer or internship assignments. For that reason we urge you to fill out the coordinating form for the specific area you are interested in.
We want your experience to be as rich and fulfilling for you as it is productive for WEDU. By volunteering, you can show your support while learning more about WEDU, your community-owned PBS station and public media source serving West Central Florida. By interning, you can learn firsthand the functions of positions in your area of interest, and gain valuable knowledge of the workplace.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications, we cannot respond to every request. Should the skills and qualifications match an opportunity, a staff member will contact the applicant.
Internship vs. Volunteering: WEDU offers internship opportunities to students enrolled in an accredited college or university or recent graduates. We prefer that students seek class credits for the internship, although it is not required. Internship opportunities may be from six weeks to multiple semesters, preferably two to three days per week. Internships and volunteer positions are unpaid.