WEDU has an employment opportunity for a VIDEOGRAPHER – Full Time
PBS member station WEDU, located in Tampa, Florida, seeks an experienced videographer to provide field and studio shooting for short form, long form and documentary video content for WEDU.
Qualifications: Successful applicants must have exceptional shooting and editing skills, creativity, detailed knowledge of field production and proven non-linear editing experience. Applicants must have solid organizational skills and the ability to multi-task projects.
Education/Experience: A college degree is preferred; equivalent experience may be considered. Ideal candidates will have a minimum of 5 years of experience as a professional videographer. Experience with Final Cut Pro and Adobe PhotoShop is preferred. Experience within the public media environment is a plus.
Requirements: Overtime, weekend and evening work as well as occasional out of town travel will be required. Successful candidates must have a valid Florida driver’s license, personal auto insurance and a driving record that is acceptable to WEDU’s auto insurance provider.
Safety and Security: Employees are required to maintain compliance with WEDU’s safety, security, drug free and confidentiality programs to secure a safe working environment and protect the company’s intellectual property.
Applying: Minority and female applicants are encouraged to apply. WEDU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Drug Test and background check will be required.
Qualified-only applicants should send a cover letter and resume: by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to Human Resources at 813/253-0826.
WEDU has a contract opportunity for a WordPress Developer
WEDU PBS seeks a talented back-end developer on a contract basis to aid in the creation of a WordPress-based arts and culture destination website. This is a temporary paid position under contract, with specific timeframe to be determined as necessary for the completion of this project. Project completion deadline is no later than December 31, 2013.
About the project
WEDU Arts Plus is a new weekly series from WEDU PBS focused on the exploration of arts and culture in the Tampa Bay area and beyond. The show features both national and local segments. The vision for the correlating website, www.wedu.org/artsplus, is to be a destination website for arts and culture in West Central Florida.
- Ensure brand consistency and project needs are met as directed by WEDU’s Vice President of Communications
- Collaborate and communicate directly with WEDU’s Interactive Services Specialist on all tasks to ensure the transition from development to maintenance of the finished project
- Collaborate and communicate with WEDU Arts Plus series dedicated staff, including Vice President of Content, content services manager and series producer as needed
- Integrate multiple content types into a seamless, user-friendly inter face, offering the ability to filter by date, categories, region, and featured content. Content types will include:
- Articles (blog entries/posts)
- Videos (hosted on PBS COVE – uses REST service integration)
- Calendar Events (using The Events Calendar Pro plugin)
- Venues (likely organized using the Community Events plugin add-on)
- Create a social media aggregate page, integrating all WEDU PBS social media
- Participate in all phases of development, including implementation, debugging, testing and deployment to ensure all work is to the highest standards
- Collaborate with the Interactive Services Specialist when necessary to aid in the development of the current page template design and implementation of responsive design using CSS
- Perform other development tasks as necessary to see the project through completion
Requirements and qualifications
- 2-4 years minimum experience with WordPress back-end development, including custom post types and WordPress database structure knowledge
- Extensive understanding of WordPress shortcodes, functions, and the loop
- Expert knowledge of PHP & MySQL development, HTML, JQuery
- Familiarity with social APIs and REST service integration
- Experience with high performance code for high-traffic sites
- Passion for clean code, organization, and modern web standards
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and take direction
- Experience with responsive design preferred
- Social media integration skills and experience preferred
- 2+ years education in computer science or related field preferred
Please send your resume, with salary/project fee proposal, and digital portfolio or links to examples of your work to email@example.com.
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Volunteering or interning at WEDU can be a rewarding and challenging experience. As a nonprofit organization, WEDU must rely on volunteer and intern support to fulfill our mission. As a business enterprise, our organization requires volunteers and interns who are willing to make a commitment of time and energy – similar to a paid position. Although we are on the air around the clock, our administrative operations are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The volunteer or intern needs of the organization range from clerical help to public speaking. Our volunteers and interns must be dependable, reliable and willing to perform their duties on a fixed schedule. The amount of time committed would be determined by the individual. Once established, the expectation would be that the person could be reliable and able to perform assignments on a regular basis.
Volunteer or internship assignments can vary throughout the year as well as within departments. Examples include acting as an usher for a community forum, helping with a specific event, committing 20 hours a week to writing copy for the Communications Department, or doing research for a project.
Due to the nature of our enterprise and our continuously evolving industry, we have to be highly selective in designating volunteer or internship assignments. For that reason we urge you to fill out the coordinating form for the specific area you are interested in.
We want your experience to be as rich and fulfilling for you as it is productive for WEDU. By volunteering, you can show your support while learning more about WEDU, your community-owned PBS station and public media source serving West Central Florida. By interning, you can learn firsthand the functions of positions in your area of interest, and gain valuable knowledge of the workplace.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications, we cannot respond to every request. Should the skills and qualifications match an opportunity, a staff member will contact the applicant.
Internship vs. Volunteering: WEDU offers internship opportunities open to students enrolled in an accredited college or university or recent graduates. We prefer that students seek class credits for the internship, although it is not required. Internship opportunities may be from six weeks to multiple semesters, preferably two to three days a week. Internshhips and volunteer positions are non- paid.