Since 2005, FLORIDA’S KIDS & ALCOHOL has addressed the issue of underage drinking in the state of Florida. The town hall series provides an in-depth discussion with parents, teachers, officials, and youth on the harmful effects. Designed to increase community awareness, the yearly discussion includes ideas for preventing youth from using alcohol.
LiveFree! and WEDU, in partnership with our community partners, will host the 12th annual Florida’s Kids and Alcohol Town Hall Meeting on Thursday, February 25th at the Digitorium at St. Petersburg College, Seminole Campus. Join us to hear from a panel of local middle and high school students as well as professionals about the dangers of drug and alcohol use and the positive changes students are making today. The Town Hall Meeting will be taped live and will be broadcast on WEDU on April 21st at 9:00 pm.
Thursday, February 25, 2016 from 5-8 p.m.
at The Digitorium at St. Petersburg College
9200 113th Street North, Seminole, FL
Photos from last year’s Town Hall Meeting
3/25/15 at the Digitorium at St. Petersburg College
Click the arrows to browse, or view the photo gallery on Flickr.
Videos from past years
Community discussions and prevention tactics are making a difference in our community. According to the 2012 Florida Youth Substance Abuse Survey, substance abuse among middle and high school students has decreased since 2010*:
- Alcohol use decreased 24% for high school students & 36% for middle school students.
- Binge drinking decreased 42% for high school students & 63% for middle school students.
- Prescription pain reliever use decreased 68% for high school students & 70% for middle school students.
- Marijuana use decreased 13% for high school students & 31% for middle school students.
*Statistics are for Pinellas County middle and high school students. Past 30 day usage was reported.
- LiveFree! Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Pinellas County
- Operation PAR
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: Parenting to Prevent Childhood Alcohol Use
- The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking
- Central Florida Behavioral Health Network
- Sexual Violence Prevention Program
- Leadership to Keep Children Alcohol-Free
- Support and Resources for Parents Dealing with Teen Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- Tampa Alcohol Coalition
- Hillsborough County Anti-Drug Alliance
- Hernando County Community Anti-Drug Coalition
- College Drinking: Changing the Culture
- Florida Drug and Alcohol Abuse Association
- 2-1-1 Tampa Bay Cares, Inc.
- JWB Children Services Council of Pinellas County
- Lee County Coalition for a Drug-Free Southwest Florida
- The Florida Poison Information Center – Tampa
- Withdrawal Resources: Common Symptoms and Treatment
The Florida’s Kids and Alcohol Town Hall Meeting is part of WEDU’s American Graduate Initiative, helping our students stay drug free and graduate from school.
|The Bernard F. and Mary Ann Powell Foundation||The Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP)|