Since 2005, FLORIDA’S KIDS & ALCOHOL has addressed the issue of underage drinking in the state of Florida. The town hall series provides an in-depth discussion with parents, teachers, officials, and youth on the harmful effects. Designed to increase community awareness, the yearly discussion includes ideas for preventing youth from using alcohol.
Florida’s Kids & Alcohol Town Hall 2014
Florida’s Kids & Alcohol Webcast 2014
Community discussions and prevention tactics are making a difference in our community. According to the 2012 Florida Youth Substance Abuse Survey, substance abuse among middle and high school students has decreased since 2010*:
- Alcohol use decreased 24% for high school students & 36% for middle school students.
- Binge drinking decreased 42% for high school students & 63% for middle school students.
- Prescription pain reliever use decreased 68% for high school students & 70% for middle school students.
- Marijuana use decreased 13% for high school students & 31% for middle school students.
*Statistics are for Pinellas County middle and high school students. Past 30 day usage was reported.
Photos from the 10th annual Town Hall Meeting
3/20/14 at the Digitorium at St. Petersburg College
Click a photo to enlarge, then browse using the arrows or arrow keys
If you are pictured in one of the photos above and would like a higher resolution photo emailed to you, please email us at email@example.com and be sure to include the photo code from the specific image you are requesting. After clicking the thumbnail to open the image, the seven-digit photo code is located underneath the photo (example: ABCD-123).
The Florida’s Kids and Alcohol Town Hall Meeting is part of WEDU’s American Graduate Initiative, helping our students stay drug free and graduate from school.
|The Bernard F. and Mary Ann Powell Foundation||The Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP)|
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: Parenting to Prevent Childhood Alcohol Use
- The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking
- Central Florida Behavioral Health Network
- Sexual Violence Prevention Program
- Leadership to Keep Children Alcohol-Free
- Support and Resources for Parents Dealing with Teen Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- Tampa Alcohol Coalition
- Hillsborough County Anti-Drug Alliance
- Hernando County Community Anti-Drug Coalition
- College Drinking: Changing the Culture
- Florida Drug and Alcohol Abuse Association
- 2-1-1 Tampa Bay Cares, Inc.
- JWB Children Services Council of Pinellas County
- Lee County Coalition for a Drug-Free Southwest Florida
- The Florida Poison Information Center – Tampa
- Withdrawal Resources: Common Symptoms and Treatment