Each year, the annual WEDU Be More Awards celebrate the human spirit and showcase the best work
by nonprofit organizations in West Central Florida and the individuals that support them.
The 2017 winners have been announced!
until the 2018 WEDU Be More Awards Luncheon & Ceremony
Thursday, February 22, 2018
Small Nonprofit Award
Engaged Philanthropist Award
Kelly Kowall, My Warrior’s Place
Warren Averett People’s Choice Award
Rising Star Award
Ryan Regan, Empath Health/Suncoast Hospice
Outspoken Volunteer Award
Melanie Salava, Florida Cancer Specialists Foundation
Best Use of Video Award
Judges’ Choice Award
Arts & Culture Award
Special Events Award
Nielsen Marketing Campaign Award
Educational Outreach Award
ABC Action News Award
Nonprofit Organization of the Year
The WEDU Be More Awards are open to all nonprofit organizations located in the WEDU PBS viewing area.
This includes: Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Desoto, Highlands, Hardee, Polk, Osceola, Orange, Lake, Sumter, Citrus, Hernando, and Pasco Counties.
The submission of an application or nomination is free of charge to all nonprofit organizations.
- Organizations may apply in more than one category by submitting a separate and distinct application packet.
- All campaigns, events, projects, and programs must have occurred between September 1, 2015 and August 31, 2016.
- Application packets must be submitted in an organized and cohesive manner using the official 2017 WEDU Be More Awards application available for download. Submissions not meeting this condition will not be eligible for an award.
- All submissions become the property of WEDU PBS and will not be returned.
The winning organizations will be announced during the WEDU Be More Awards luncheon on Thursday, February 23, 2017 at Bryan Glazer Family Jewish Community Center. (Tickets are required to attend.)
The WEDU Be More Awards consist of a variety of categories. Please review the categories to determine the format of your submission. Some categories will require a completed, printed and signed application with supporting materials, while other categories require an online nomination.
If the category you are applying for requires a completed, printed and signed application, all requested information must be included or the applying organization will not be eligible for an award.
For application categories:
- Include 2-4 examples of materials supporting your application that demonstrates why your organization is the most deserving of a WEDU Be More Award.
- Applications must include a current copy of organization IRS determination letter indicating 501(c)(3) status.
- Submitting organizations must include six (6) identical submission packets including your 2-4 examples to be distributed for judging. Copies of your WEDU Be More Awards application must be included with each packet. Applications and supporting materials will not be returned.
Award applications must be postmarked by October 28, 2016. WEDU is located at 1300 N Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33607. Applications may be delivered to WEDU Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Hand delivered applications must arrive by 5 p.m. on October 28, 2016. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Final judging will take place from November 4, 2016 to December 12, 2016. The WEDU Be More Awards judges are impartial business, philanthropic and civic leaders from the WEDU viewing area. Judges will not review any organization’s application with which they have a personal or professional affiliation. All applications will be screened by WEDU staff members to ensure application criteria are met. Judges will not review incomplete applications. All judging is based on a point system. Top nominees in each category will be notified via telephone and a letter from WEDU no later than January 13, 2017. All decisions are final.
The 2017 WEDU Be More Awards are made possible by: