WEDU PBS Phyllis L. Ensign Library Corners
In November 2015, WEDU announced a very generous bequest from a long-time viewer. At $4 million, the gift from Mrs. Phyllis Ensign marks the largest gift in WEDU’s 57 year history.
Her gift will support the creation of new local series like THAT’S ALL I’M SAYING WITH ERNEST HOOPER, provide for paid internships on WEDU’s SUNCOAST BUSINESS FORUM program, provide educational equipment and supplies for teacher workshops and community outreach – to mention just a few.
To honor Mrs. Ensign’s gift, WEDU is also donating at least 16 multimedia library corners to libraries throughout WEDU’s 16 county viewing area in her name.
The first four library corners are now open
In Spring 2017, WEDU donated the first four library corners to Lake Wales, Safety Harbor, New Port Richey, and Sarasota public libraries during ribbon cutting celebrations.
Check out photos from the ribbon cuttings in the WEDU Photo Gallery.
Applications are now being accepted!
Applications for the next round of WEDU PBS Phyllis L. Ensign Library Corners are now being accepted through the form below. Past applicants that have not already been awarded a library corner will be reconsidered during this second round. If you need to update a previously submitted application, please resubmit your application below and your most current version will be used during the consideration process.
Apply now through June 30, 2017 at 5 p.m. EDT.
Library Corners Include (but are not necessarily limited to):
- WEDU PBS library corner reading rug
- Library corner bookshelf
- WEDU PBS library corner pop-up banner
- PBS Kids character standee
- 20-25 PBS Kids lending collection books
- 15-20 PBS Kids lending collection DVDs
- 2 electronic tablets loaded with PBS apps
- Collection of 6 turnkey activity sessions with materials
- Display stand with family resource guide, take-home materials for parents, activity sheets and more
- Training for library staff on PBS Read-Aloud program, Florida PBS LearningMedia, PBS Kids Lab and more
- Assorted bookmarks, pencils, etc.
To Be Eligible:
- Applicant must complete the online application (below)
- Applicant must be part of the public library system within WEDU’s 16 county viewing area
- A minimum of 20% of the applicant’s served audience must be at or below poverty level
- Applicant must attend a training session presented by WEDU PBS
- Selected locations must host a ribbon cutting event in partnership with WEDU PBS
- Selected locations must host scheduled activities utilizing the donated materials a minimum of once per month
- Selected library locations must complete a brief online survey within 10 days of each scheduled library corner activity
- Selected locations must complete a grant award agreement
If you’re a Grantee Library looking for the activity report and other resources, click here.